"Sometimes the most ordinary things could be made extraordinary, simply by doing them with the right people."
— Elizabeth Green
Mount Royal University, Calgary, AB (2001 - 2005)
Bachelor of applied communications: journalism degree
College of the Rockies, Cranbrook, B.C. (2000 - 2001)
University transfer courses
EMPLOYMENT & EXPERIENCE:
Owner – Mindful Marketing, July 2016 to current date
Public relations, marketing, and communications consultant based out of Cranbrook, B.C. Specializing in media relations, corporate communications strategy, content development, storytelling, writing and editing.
Examples of Consulting Work:
Province of BC and Ktunaxa Nation Council (2020)
• Development of a Communications, Engagement and Outreach Strategy for the BC-Ktunaxa Collaborative Stewardship Working Group.
Koocanusa Recreation Steering Committee (KRSC) (2019/2020)
• Development and implementation of a Communications Strategy outlining effective communication methods and tools to better engage media, public and regional stakeholders
• Communications support to the KRSC and KRSC Coordinator for the design of a public engagement process in the fall of 2019
• Development of press releases, media lists, templates and other media relations materials
Columbia Basin Transboundary Conference: One River, One Future (2018 – 2020)
• Development and implementation of Communications Strategy
• Conference branding
• Content development, writing and editing for press releases, media advisories, website, and a variety of communications materials
• Development of marketing materials
• Social media
• Budget management
• Event support and assistance
College of the Rockies (2018 – 2019)
• Day-to-day strategic communications consulting/strategy and editing services
• Developed a 2019 Strategic Communications Plan and Media Relations Strategy for College of the Rockies
• Created templates, best practice policy/guidelines, media relations documents
Communications consulting contracts through the Basin Business Advisors 2017 - 2020:
• Bolter Farm & Chalet
• Wild Heart Therapies and Farmacy
• Cutter Ranch
• Kootenay Healthy Lifestyles Expo (Event promotion)
• Edgewater Hilltop Par 3 Golf and RV Park
Fund development coordinator – Cranbrook and District Community Foundation, October 2014 to September 2016
Assisted in the development and implementation of fund development strategies to increase revenues to support the strategic direction of the organization.
Cultivated new and strengthened existing relationships with business, industry, organizations, stakeholders, government representatives, and donors.
Prepared and delivered presentations to community groups and government officials.
Planned and executed high-profile fundraising and community events.
Represented the organization at events, public engagements, and in the media.
Produced communication/marketing materials.
Wrote and distributed press releases and event advisories.
Communications assistant – UBC's Okanagan campus, July 2008 to September 2014
Performed media relations/communications and public relations tasks designed to publicize and promote UBC's activities, facilities, services, goals and objectives to external audiences at the local to international level.
Used social media to communicate university events, news and stories.
Organized news conferences in conjunction with senior university administrators, faculty and outside organizations, including government.
Wrote and produced media releases, news advisories, research stories and marketing materials for internal and external audiences.
Monitored media pick-up and managed inquiries from the public and media in a timely manner.
Took high-quality, professional photos for media releases, social media, website and publicity materials. Used Photoshop in the editing process.
Assisted in development of media plans and communications strategies.
Assisted in planning and implementing of crisis response strategies.
(2012) National Tropical Botanical Garden Environmental Journalism Fellowship recipient, Lihue, HI
(2010) The Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) Summer Institute –Communications and Marketing, Burlington, VT
(2010) The Council for Advancement and Support of Education, District 8 Conference, Portland, OR
(2008) NSERC Research Communication Workshop, Calgary, AB